Edited by IlmGate
One of the great recent scholars from Makkah was Shaykh Muhammad Yasin al-Fadani (Allah have mercy on him), who was widely regarded during his lifetime as being one of the foremost scholars for the transmission of hadith. Please find below a brief biography of the Shaykh taken from the article written by Shaykh Abd al-Wahab al-Jabi, dated 1402/1982. Shaykh al-Fadani (Allah have mercy on him) passed away some years after the authoring of this article. We ask Allah (the Exalted) to strengthen our links with him and with those that he was also close to. Ameen
Shaykh Muhammad Yasin bin Muhammad Isa al-Fadani al-Makki
He is Abul Fayd, Muhammad Yasin bin Muhammad Isa al-Fadani, belonging to Fadan or Badan, an area of Indonesia. He was of Indonesian origin but was born and raised in Makkah.
Birth and Early Education
The Shaykh was born in Makkah in the year 1335 (AH). He began his studies with his father Shaykh Muhammad Isa al-Fadani and his uncle Shaykh Mahmud al-Fadani. He then joined the Madrassa al-Sawlatiyyah al-Hindiyyah where he supplemented his studies with his regular attendance of the circles taking place in al-Masjid al-Haram. He completed his studies at the Dar al-Ulum al-Diniyyah after it was set up.
His Teachers and Subjects Studied
From those whom he studied with during this period was the Sibaway of his age: Allamah Shaykh Muhammad Ali bin Hussein bin Ibrahim al-Maliki al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him), with whom he read a number of works amongst them being:
- Jam’ al-Jawami’ with its commentary Hum’ al-Hawami’ in grammar by al-Hafidh al-Suyuti
- Jalal al-Mahalli’s commentary on the Jam’ al-Jawami’ in Usul along with the marginalia of al-Attar and al-Bannani
- Tafsir al-Khazin
- Tuhfa al-Muhtaj of Ibn Hajar al-Haytami al-Makki with the marginalia of al-Sharwani and Ibn Qasim al-Ibadi
- Zad al-Muslim of al-Shinqiti
- Al-Risalah al-Waladiyah fi Adaab al-Bahth wal-Munazarah
- Portions from the Sahihs of al-Bukhari and Muslim
- The whole of Sunan al-Nasai
He studied other works with him and kept his close company for a considerable time. He compiled his Shaykh’s chains of narration in a work which he named: Al-Maslak al-Jalli fi Asanid Fadilah al-Sheikh Muhammad Ali, in which he also included a detailed biography.
He studied with Allamah al-Shaykh Hasan bin Muhammad al-Mashat al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him) a number of works, amongst them being:
- Al-Tuhfah al-Sanniyah on Inheritance
- Al-Fawaid al-Shanshuriyyah on Inheritance
- Lub al-Usul with its commentary Ghayah al-Wusul
- The commentary on al-Suyuti’s Alfiyyah on hadith terminology by Muhammad Mahfiz al-Tarmasi entitled Manhaj Dhul Nazar fi Manzumah Ilm al-Athar
- Mukhtasar Ibn Abi Jamrah
- Jami’ al-Tirmidhi
- Sunan Abi Dawud
- Raf’ al-Astar an Mahya Mukhadrat Talat al-Anwar
- Tafsir al-Jalalayn
- Al-Mawahib al-Laduniyyah of al-Qastallani
- Ihya Ulum al-Din of al-Ghazali with its commentary by al-Hafidh al-Sayyid Muhammad Murtada al-Zabidi
- Al-Hikam of Ibn Ataillah al-Iskandari
He Studied with the Muhaddith of the two noble sanctuaries, Umar bin Hamdan al-Mahrasi al-Maliki (Allah have mercy on him), a large number of works in Madrassa al-Sawlatiyyah, in al-Haram al-Makki, and in the Shaykhs home, amongst them being:
- A considerable amount of the six books of hadith
- Muwatta Imam Malik
- Al-Jami’ al-Saghir of al-Suyuti with its commentary Fayd al-Qadir of al-Munawi
- Bulugh al-Maram min Adillah al-Ahkam
- Al-Shifa fi Huquq al-Mustafa
- Jam’ al-Fawaid of al-Rawdani
- Portions of al-Ashbah wal Nazair
- A large number of portions from around 20 works in grammar, hadith, tafsir and their related sciences
He attended his lessons in fiqh, balaghah and read with him the pattern chained narrations (musalsalat) of:
- Muhammad bin Ahmad bin Aqilah al-Makki
- Ali bin Zahir al-Watri al-Madani
- Abid al-Sindi al-Madani
- Falih bin Muhammad al-Zahiri al-Madani
- Al-Sayyid Hussein bin Muhammad al-Habashi al-Makki
[He also read] other rare-pattern chained narrations from other scholars.
He gathered together his chains of narration in a large work named: Matmah al-Wajdan min Asanid Umar Hamdan, which he later abridged into: It-haf al-Ikhwan
He read with the Mufti of the Shafi’s, Allamah al-Faqih al-Shaykh Umar Ba Junayd (Allah have mercy on him), a number of works amongst them:
- Ibn Qasim al-Ghazzi’s commentary on the text al-Ghayah wal-Taqrib
- Al-Iqnah Sharh Matn Abi Shujah (Matn Ghayah wal-Taqrib)
- Fath al-Wahhab Sharh Manhaj al-Tullab of Zakariyyah al-Ansari
- Tuhfa al-Muhtaj of Ibn Hajar al-Haytami
- Minhaj al-Talibin of al-Nawawi with the commentary of al-Mahalli and marginalia of Qalyubi and Umayrah
- Mughni al-Muhtaj of al-Khatib al-Shirbini
- Sahih al-Bukhari with the notes of al-Sindi
He studied Rawd al-Talib and its commentary Asna al-Matalib and the Sharh of al-Mahalli with the Minhaj of al-Nawawi with the marginalia of Qalyubi and Umayrah with Shaykh Saeed bin Muhammad al-Yamani and his son Shaykh Hasan al-Yamani (Allah have mercy on them both). Likewise he attended the latter’s lessons on Sahih Muslim and Sunan al-Nasai.
These three scholars: Shaykh Umar Ba Junayd, Shaykh Saeed Yamani, and Shaykh Hasan Yamani were regarded as his main teachers of Shafi’ fiqh.
He studied with al-Sayyid Muhsin bin Ali al-Musawi al-Fillimbani then al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him) Shafi’ fiqh and Usul. He kept his close company and benefited greatly from him. He compiled a biography of his along with his chains of narration in the work: Fayd al-Muhaimin fi Tarjamah wa Asanid al-Sayyid Muhsin.
He studied with Allamah Abdullah Muhammad al-Ghazi al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him) a large number of athbat (collations of chains of narration), more specifically his large thabat: Tanshit al-Fuad bin Tazkar Ulum al-Isnad, and the thabat in which he gathered the chains of his Shaykh al-Habib Hussein al-Habashi al-Alawi named Fath al-Qawi.
He took from him the Musalsalat of Ibn Aqilah and kept his close company and benefited greatly from him.
He studied with Shaykh Ibrahim bin Dawud al-Fatani al-Makki a number of works in al-Masjid al-Haram and Dar al-Ulum al-Diniyyah, amongst them:
- Tafsir al-Baydawi with the marginalia of Shihab al-Khafaji, which entailed a detailed reading, study and verification.
- Tafsir al-Jalalayn
- Jam’ al-Jawami’ of Taj al-Subki with its commentary Jalal al-Mahalli
- Hashiyah of al-Sabban on Urud and Qawafi
- The treatise of Tash Kubrazadah on Adaab al-Bahth al-Munazarah and other works
With Allamah Alawi bin Abbas al-Maliki al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him), he studied portions from:
- Sharh Ibn Aqil on the Alfiyyah
- Lub al-Usul
- Al-Lam’ of Abu Ishaq al-Shirazi
- Portions from Sunan Abu Dawud
- The athbat of al-Kawrani, al-Basri, al-Nakhli, al-Fulani, al-Shawkani and al-Ameer (Allah have mercy on all of them).
He studied with Allamah al-Sayyid Muhammad bin Ameen al-Kutbi al-Makki a number of works, amongst them:
- Al-Ashmuni on the Alfiyyah
- The treatise of Tash Kubrazadah on Adaab fi al-Bahth wal-Munazarah
He attended the lessons of Allamah Shihab Ahmad al-Mukhallalati al-Shami then al-Makki (Allah have mercy on him). He took from him the musalasalat transmitted from the scholars of al-Sham. He compiled his chains and biography in a work named Al-Wasl al-Rati fi Asanid wa Tarjamah al-Shihab Ahmad al-Mukhallalati.
He studied with Allamah Khalifah bin Hamd al-Nabhani al-Bahraini then al-Makki a number of sciences, more specifically that of astronomy. He compiled his chains and biography in Fayd al-Rahman fi Tarjamah wa Asanid al-Sheikh Khalifah bin Hamd aal-Nabhan.
He attended the lessons on hadith, its terminology and hadith of Allamah Ubaidullah bin al-Islam al-Sindi al-Deobandi in al-Masjid al-Haram.
Likewise he attended the lessons of Allamah Hussein Ahmad al-Faydabadi better known as al-Madani [Mawlana Husain Ahmad Madani], and Allamah Abd al-Qadir bin Tawfiq Shalabi, both of them in al-Madinah al-Munawwarah.
He received the hadith collection Al-Manahil al-Salsalah fi al-Ahadith al-Musalsalah from its compiler: Allamah Muhammad Abd al-Baqi al-Luknawi al-Ansari al-Madani (Allah have mercy upon him).
Likewise he received the musalsalat, Hadi al-Mustarshidin, from its author Abd al-Hadi al-Madrasi al-Shafi’ (Allah have mercy on him).
Apart from the above mentioned scholars, Shaykh Muhammad Yasin al-Fadani received ijazah from a large number of scholars reaching approximately 700 in number, including both men and women.
Allah the Exalted blessed him with the opportunity to teach a number of the Islamic sciences in al-Masjid al-Haram and Dar al-Ulum al-Diniyyah, focusing later in his teaching career on the instruction of the noble hadith and its sciences.
After Shaykh Muhammad Yasin gained his share of knowledge, he focused his energies towards the spreading of it amongst the students of Makkah and other lands. He began teaching at Dar al-Ulum Diniyyah at the beginning of the year 1356 (AH), becoming its head in the middle of the year 1359 (AH). Alongside this he delivered a variety of lessons in al-Masjid al-Haram, between the doors (Bab) Ibrahim and Wada’, along with those in his home and office. Numerous students studied with him, many of them from the far east. He also gave ijazah to a large number of visitors to the holy city who came to visit him. Not least his ijazah to all those of his age which he gave a number of times.
The Shaykh authored a number of works, some of them unpublished, others in print and used by students in centers of learning throughout the world, not least for the soundness of their content and fine layout. From amongst his works are:
- Al-Dur al-Mandud Sharh Sunan Abi Dawud (20 volumes)
- Fath al-Allam Sharh Bulugh al-Maram (4 volumes)
Usul al-Fiqh And Qawaid al-Fiqh
- Bughyah al-Mushtaq Sharh Lum’ Abi Ishaq (2 Volumes)
- Hashiyah ala al-Ashbah wal-Nazair fi al-Furu al-Fiqhiyyah of al-Suyuti
- Tatmim al-Dukhul Taliqat ala Madkhal al-Wusul ila Ilm al-Usul
- Al-Durar al-Nadid Hawashi ala Kitab al-Tamhid of al-Isnawi
- Al-Fawaid al-Junniyah Hashiyah ala al-Mawahib al-Sunniyah ala Qawaid al-Fiqhiyyah
- Taliqat ala Lum’ al-Sheikh Abi Ishaq
- Ida’ah al-Nur al-Lami’ Sharh al-Kawkab al-Sati’ Nazm Jam’al-Jawami’
- Hashiyah ala al-Talatuf Sharh al-Tarruf fi Usul al-Fiqh
- Nayl al-Ma’mul Hashiyah ala Lub al-Usul and its commentary Ghayah al-Wusul
- Janni al-Thamr Sharh Manzumah Manazil al-Qamr
- Al-Mukhtasar al-Muhadhab fi Istikhraj al-Awqat wal Qibliyyah bi Ribh alMujib
- Al-Mawahib al-Jazilah Sharh Thamarat al-Wasilah fil Falak
- Tashnif al-Sam’, Mukhtasar fi Ilm al-Wada’
- Bulghah al-Mushtaq fi Ilm al-Ishtiqaq
- Manhal al-Ifadah, Hawashi ala Risalah al-Bahth li Tash Kubrazadah
- Husn al-Siyaghah Sharh Kitab Durus al-Balaghah
- Risalah fil Mantiq
- It-haf al-Khallan Tawdih Tuhfah al-Ikhwan fi Ilm al-Bayan of al-Dardir
- Al-Risalah al-Bayaniyyah – In a question and answer format
Science of Hadith and Chains of Narration
- Matmah al-Wajdan fi Asanid al-Sheikh Umar Hamdan (3 large volumes)
- It-haf al-Ikhwan bi Ikhtisar Matmah al-Wajdan
- Tanwir al-Basirah bi Turuq al-Isnad al-Shahirah
- Fayd al-Rahman fi Tarjamah wa Asanid al-Sheikh Khalifah bin Hamd aal-Nabhan
- Al-Qawl al-Jamil bi Ijazah Samahah al-Sayyid Ibrahim Aqil
- Fayd al-Muhaimin fi Tarjamah wa Asanid al-Sayyid Muhsin
- Al-Maslak al-Jalli fi Tarjamah wa Asanid al-Sheikh Muhammad Ali
- Al-Wasl al-Rati fi Tarjamah wa Asanid al-Shihab Ahmad al-Mukhallalati
- Asanid Ahmad bin Hajar al-Haytami al-Makki
- Al-Irshadat al-Sawiyyah fi Asanid al-Kutub al-Nahwiyyah wal-Sarfiyyah
- Al-Ujalah fi al-Ahadith al-Musalsalah
- Asma al-Ghayat fi Asanid al-Sheikh Ibrahim al-Khuzami fi al-Qira’at
- Asanid al-Kutub al-Hadithiyyah al-Sab’ah
- Al-Iqd al-Farid min Jawahir al-Asanid
- It-haf al-Bararah bi Asanid al-Kutub al-Hadithiyah al-Asharah
- It-haf al-Mustafid bi Nur al-Asanid
- Qurrat al-Ain fi Asanid Alam al-Haramain
- It-haf Ulul Himamal-Aliyyah bi Kalam ala Hadith al-Musalsal bil Awwaliyyah
- Al-Dur al-Farid min Durar al-Asanid
- Bughyah al-Murid min Ulum al-Asanid
- Al-Muqtataf min It-haf al-Akabir bi Marwiyyat Abd al-Qadir al-Siddiqi al-Makki
- Ikhtisar Riyadh Ahl al-Jannah min Athar Ahl al-Sunnah of Ab al-Baqi al-Ba’li al-Hanbali
- Fayd al-Ilah al-Aliyy fi Asanid Abd al-Baqi al-Ba’li al-Hanbali
- Arbaoon Hadithan min arbaeen Kitaban an Arbaeen Sheikhan
- Arbaoon al-Buldaniyyah Arbaoon Hadithan an Arbaoon Sheikhan min Arbaeen Baladan
- Arbaoon Hadithan Musalsalah bi al-Nuhah ila Jalal al-Suyuti
- Al-Salasil al-Mukhtarah bi Ijazah al-Muarrikh al-Sayyid Muhammad bin Muhammad Zayarah
- Tadhkar al-Musafi bi Ijazah al-Fakhr Abdullah bin Abd al-Karim al-Jurafi
- Al-Nafha al-Makkiyahfi Asanid al-Makkiyah, Ijazah li Nabighah al-Qadi Muhammad bin Abdullah al-Umari
- Fath Rab al-Majid fima al-Ashyakhi min Faraid al-Ijazat wal Asanid
- Silsilah al-Waslah Majmuah Mukhtarah min al-Ahadith al-Musalsalah, Ijazah lil Qadi al-Sayyid Abu Bakr al-Habshi
- Al-Kawakib al-Durari bi Ijazah Mahmud Saeed Mamduh al-Qahiri
- Fayd al-Mubdi bi Ijazah al-Sheikh Muhammad Awd Munqash al-Zabidi
- Al-Fayd al-Rahmani bi Ijazah Samaha al-Allamah al-Kabir Muhammad Taqi al-Uthmani
His Notes Upon Other Collections of Chains of Transmission
- Nihayah al-Matlab Ala al-Arb fi Ulum al-Isnad wal Adab
- Two treatise upon al-Amirs thabat (i) Al-Dur al-Nadir (ii) Al-Rawd al-Nadir fi Majmu al-Ijazat bi Thabat al-Amir
- Two treatise upon the al-Awail al-Sunbuliyyah (i) Al-Ujalah al-Makiyyah (ii) Al-Nafha al-Miskiyyah
- Waraqat ala Al-Jawhar al-Thamin fi Arbaeen Hadithan min Ahadith Sayyid al-Mursaleen of al-Ajluni
- It-haf al-Bahith al-Surri ala Thabat Abd al-Rahman al-Kuzbari
- Taliqat ala Kifayah al-Mustafid lil Sheikh Mahfuz al-Tarmasi
- Tahqiq al-Jami’ al-Hawi fi Marwiyyat al-Sharqawi
Courtesy of Karima Foundation
Note: This article was edited for spelling, grammar, and style.